You have the ao486 core setup and DOS installed, but what’s next?
One super-convenient ao486 feature is MiSTerFS – a file transfer solution that allows you to share files directly into ao486’s DOS file system. Traditionally you’d use mounted disk images to transfer files, but with MiSTerFS it’s just drag and drop! Way easier. Here’s how to get started.
Step 1 – Download and Install MiSTerFS
To install MiSTerFS:
Use a file transfer tool like FileZilla to copy the floppy image to
/media/fat/games/AO486on your MiSTer (reminder on how to do that here). You should have a single file name
- Still in FileZilla, create a new folder:
/media/fat/games/AO486/shared(if it doesn’t exist already). This is the “drop” folder you’ll use to transfer files to ao486:
- Power up the ao486 core and mount the MiSTerFS floppy image (Windows Key + F12 for ao486 core options, set Floppy A: to
- Run the following commands to copy the MiSTerFS executable to your hard disk:
md c:\utils md c:\utils\misterfs copy a:\misterfs.exe c:\utils\misterfs
- Still on your MiSTer, type
edit c:\autoexec.bat. An editor application will open. Add the following line:
LH C:\UTILS\MISTERFS\MISTERFS.EXE E /Q
This quiet-loads MiSTerFS into upper memory with drive letter
E:. Hit Alt+F,S to save the file and then Alt+F,X to exit
That’s the setup done. Unmount
misterfs.img, reboot the ao486 core and get ready to transfer files!
Step 2 – Using MiSTerFS
File transfer between PC and ao486 works in both directions. To copy files from PC to ao486:
Open a file transfer tool (e.g. FileZilla) on your PC
Drag-and-drop files into the
- In ao486, verify that the files appear under the
To transfer files from ao486 to PC, simply do the reverse.
That’s it for MiSTerFS. You’ll come to rely on this a lot for file transfer.
Other Posts in this Series
- MiSTer FPGA Part 1 – Intro and Hardware Overview - 22 Aug 2020
- MiSTer FPGA Part 2 – Install and Setup - 20 Sep 2020
- MiSTer FPGA Part 3 – Network Access and Copying Files - 31 Jan 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 1 – DOS Quick Start - 06 Feb 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 2 – Sharing Files With MiSTerFS - 14 Feb 2021