In search of a DOS gaming PC (but short on apartment space), I recently purchased a HP Compaq t5710 thin client. Although it was built in 2004, the hardware is very well suited to DOS and Windows 98 gaming. Some hardware features:
- 800MHz Transmeta Crusoe processor (x86 compatible)
- 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM (plenty for DOS and Windows 98)
- ATI Radeon 7000M graphics (first-generation Radeon, surprisingly good DirectX/OpenGL 3D performance)
- VIA VT8231 chipset (featuring built-in Sound Blaster audio)
- 1 PCI expansion slot
- Wired Ethernet, 4 USB 2.0 ports, microphone and headphone jacks, PS/2, VGA, Serial, and Parallel ports
It ships with a 512MB flash module, fitted to a standard 44-pin IDE - which makes for an easy storage upgrade. I purchased a 4GB flash module for ~$7. You can also use an IDE to Compact Flash adapter.
The VIA VT8231 supports Sound Blaster emulation, allowing for Ad-Lib and Sound Blaster audio in DOS games. In addition, the PC Speaker audio gets routed through the headphone jack - a nice touch.
A PCI expansion slot is fitted to the motherboard, which gives us a lot of upgrade options. I’m very keen to try a Voodoo II and other PCI sound/video cards.
Lastly, like some laptops, the PS/2 port supports a splitter cable - so you can connect keyboard and mouse simultaneously
Find a more detailed hardware overview on my YouTube channel:
More t5710 articles
- I added a 3dfx Voodoo2 to a Thin Client PC - 15 Feb 2022
- Playing Quake 2 on 3dfx Voodoo 2, on Windows 98 SE, on my HP Compaq Thin Client. A minor miracle this works as well as it does. Also v happy with my railgun skills - still got it! - 13 Feb 2022
- HP Compaq t5710 – Using a PS/2 Splitter Cable - 13 Nov 2021
- HP Compaq t5710 – How To Install Windows 98 from USB Flash Drive with Easy2Boot - 11 Jul 2021
- HP Compaq t5710 Review – Great for DOS and Windows 98 Gaming? - 11 Jul 2021
- How To Install Windows 98 from USB Flash Drive with Easy2Boot - HP Compaq t5710 - 11 Jul 2021
- HP Compaq t5710 Review - The Best Mini PC for DOS Gaming? - 02 Jun 2021
- Time to build a DOS gaming PC. Went for the cheap option: HP Compaq t5710 Thin Client, 800MHz Transmeta Crusoe CPU, 256Mb RAM, Sound Blaster Pro hardware compatibility, 1x PCI slot. Will definitely add Voodoo graphics, maybe OPL3LPT - 19 Sep 2020