Did you know that ao486 has built-in CD-ROM support? You can mount either ISO or BIN/CUE files – ao486 will think it’s a real CD-ROM! Here’s how.
Step 1 – Download and Copy CD-ROM Driver
- We’ll use the OAKCDROM.SYS driver. Download it from here
- Use MiSTerFS to transfer it to ao486
- In ao486, type the following commands to copy the driver to
mkdir C:\DRIVERS copy E:\OAKCDROM.SYS C:\DRIVERS
Step 2 – Install CD-ROM Driver
To install and activate the CD-ROM driver, you’ll need to update both your
- From the DOS command prompt, type
edit c:\CONFIG.SYS. An editor application will open. Add the following line to your
This will load the CD-ROM device driver into memory. Hit Alt+F,S to save the file, then Alt+F,X to exit.
- Next, type
edit c:\AUTOEXEC.BAT. An editor application will open. Add the following line to your
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L:D
This mounts the CD-ROM as drive
D:and allows DOS programs to recognize CDs. Again hit Alt+F,S to save, Alt+F,X to exit.
- Hit Windows Key + F12 for ao486 core options. Select Reset and apply HDD to reboot ao486. The CD-ROM driver should load as follows:
Step 3 – Copy an ISO CD-ROM image to your MiSTer
Once downloaded, copy your ISO to the
/media/fat/games/AO486 folder on your MiSTer.
A Note on CD-ROM Formats
Step 3 – Mount a CD-ROM
Time to mount a CD-ROM! From the DOS prompt:
- Hit Windows Key + F12 for ao486 core options. Highlight IDE 1-0 and hit Enter. Select your ISO file:
- Hit Esc to close the MiSTer menu and navigate to the CD-ROM by typing
D:. Then type
dirto view the contents of your CD:
All going well, you should see the CD contents. You're ready to play some games!
Other Posts in this Series
- MiSTer FPGA Part 1 – Intro and Hardware Overview - 22 Aug 2020
- MiSTer FPGA Part 2 – Install and Setup - 20 Sep 2020
- MiSTer FPGA Part 3 – Network Access and Copying Files - 31 Jan 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 1 – Getting Started - 06 Feb 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 2 – Sharing Files With MiSTerFS - 14 Feb 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 3 – Managing Memory - 13 Mar 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 4 – Sound and Music Setup - 13 Mar 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 5 – Adding CD-ROM Support - 13 Mar 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 6 – Mouse Support - 13 Mar 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 7 – Quick Start DOS Image - 18 Mar 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 8 – Roland MT-32, Sound Canvas Audio via MidiLink - 28 Mar 2021
- MiSTer AO486 Core Part 9 – Installing Windows 95 - 28 Mar 2021